As the grand finale of summer approaches with Labor Day weekend, and the smell of fresh pencils and notebooks lures your attention away from fun in the sun, ask yourself: Where the heck is the sunscreen?
Because chances are, you used almost all of it up on vacation and hiking and picnicking and college touring and swimming and all those rites of summertime. What’s left probably isn’t even enough to cover your nose this holiday weekend. Stock up now, because no doubt you’ll need it this fall, too, while you’re sitting on a sideline and trying not to shout, “Sophie, stop picking flowers and kick the ball!”
I know. I’ve been there. In many ways, I’m still there, except now I shout at high school boys.
Which is why I’ll be appearing on the Weather Channel tomorrow morning at
9:40 a.m. 9:33 a.m. ET to talk to the co-anchor of American Morning Headquarters and host of Momerology (and fellow Ramsey High grad) Maria LaRosa. I want to remind parents what they may have forgotten before they take off for the summer’s last hurrah.
Here in the New York City tri-state area, Labor Day means the party’s almost over as school starts in a few days. It marks the end of the kids’ freedom and the complete clearing out any decent school supplies at Staples. (Go now. I’ll wait.)
But whether you’ve taken your first day of school photos already or you’re still picking out backpacks, Labor Day is a three-day weekend that’s perfect for getting in the last bits of summer while you still can. Before it officially starts, it’s worth asking yourself:
- Do you have enough sunscreen?
- Has your First Aid kit been decimated after a skateboarding accident or barefoot boo-boos?
- Did you leave half your beach towels at your friend’s pool two weekends ago?
- Sandals. Where are the kids’ sandals?
- When was the last time you opened your umbrella? If it’s been a while, like here on the East Coast, do you know where it is?
- Got sweaters and sweatshirts packed for chilly late summer nights?
- It’s never too late to start wearing a sun hat.
So, before the holiday weekend gets into full swing, go find what you need. Then you can enjoy summer’s last hurrah without a sunburn.
See you in the three-ring binders aisle!