We are hunkering down here in New Jersey, getting ready for the brunt of Frankenstorm. We’ve unplugged everything in the basement, filled the tub and various pitchers with water, cooked some pizza, burgers and rice that we hope will taste good cold and took our last showers for a while. While prepping for this historic storm, I came up with hurricane preparation tips no one else will tell you. If you’ve still got Internet access, enjoy. Meanwhile, we are thinking of and praying for our friends “down the shore” and everywhere in harm’s way. Stay safe! Jen
2. Forgot to stock up on D batteries? No worries. Now’s your chance to yank the batteries out of all those annoying toys you hate. “Elmo wonders why you’re reaching up back there. Wait, Elmo wants to say someth…”
3. Volunteer to go gas up the car and buy flashlights. Then swing around to Starbucks, get a latte, take pictures of the empty shelves at Home Depot, catch up on the soccer club gossip while waiting in 70′s Gas Crisis-length lines at Mobil and pick up a gallon or so of water before heading home. See that? A mini-vacation before the storm.
4. Wash underpants and anything fleece while you still can use the washer or you’ll be cleaning Disney princess undies in the puddle in the driveway this week.
5. Search your car for the survival stuff you’re gonna need: half-eaten bags of pretzels, abandoned gloves and mittens from last winter, a case of Gatorade from the cancelled soccer game, Easter coloring books from Grandma’s house and the Halloween candy you obviously won’t be handing out this year.
6. Start replacing missing board game pieces while you still have power. Clean the couch while you still have lights. You’ll find coins, barrettes, Barbie’s head, Matchbox wheels and pen caps, all of which make great playing pieces.
7. Put a blanket in your car and plan to charge your phone and Kindle often. Trust me, you’ll appreciate this one within 24 hours.