Traveling with teens, the magazines warn, is an exercise in futility. Beware your summer vacation plans. Teens, say the articles, would prefer to plug in their ear-buds and ignore you. Once you learn the 7 rules for traveling with teens, you will be able to endure your trip, should you dare to take one:
1. Teens would rather be dead than be seen with you.
2. Teens would rather play video games than see anything of historic value.
3. It’s best to stick to chain restaurants and fast food so your teen feels at home in a strange place.
4. When choosing a hotel room for your teens, the most important amenity is the wide-screen television.
5. It’s important to provide your teens with a nighttime activity that keeps them from getting bored, such as a movie on their iPads.
6. Teens prefer activities that are costly, so budget accordingly.
7. Teenagers are naturally narcissistic and tend to think only of themselves.
Remember these time-honored rules of traveling with teens, and you will make it through. Or, just imagine attempting to do all that with toddlers.