“What’s your sign?” is not a question you typically expect to hear from your accountant, yet according to a recent survey by Money Management International (MMI), tax time can be very different for consumers born under different sun signs. For example, the MMI survey found that Libras expect to receive an average refund of $2,200, while Aries expect a significantly less refund– $800.
Funny, I don’t expect that my zodiac sign has anything to do with my refund–more likely it affects my outlook on life and perhaps the career path I’ve taken, maybe even my relationship with money. Nonetheless, I thought you might enjoy this sugar-coated survey results about zodiac signs and attitudes towards tax refunds–assuming you might be getting one this year:
- Aries – Those born under this Fire sign expect the smallest refunds ($1,400). They plan to save (46%) or pay debts (32%).
- Taurus – Taurus is an Earth sign, associated with practicality. Those born under this sign are the least likely to expect a refund. Of consumers who expect to receive a refund, only 6% were born under this sign.
- Gemini – Generally known to be logical, Gemini are the most likely to over-withhold on purpose.
- Cancer - Protective Cancers are not likely to splurge with their refunds. Of those consumers who plan to splurge, less than 1% were born under this Water sign.
- Leo – Generous Leos are more likely than those born under other signs to spend their refunds. Of those who plan to splurge, nearly 20% are Leos.
- Virgo - Practical Virgos are still deciding how to spend their expected tax refunds. In fact, more Virgos than those born under any other sign were “undecided” about what to do with their refunds (14%).
- Libra – Known for balance, Libras surprisingly expect the largest refunds (an average of $2,200).
- Scorpio - Scorpios are characterized as being passionate. Of those who plan to splurge with their tax refund, one out of four is a Scorpio.
- Sagittarius– Sagittarians are known for being optimistic and are not likely to save their refunds. In fact, of those who plan to save, only 5% were born under this sign.
- Capricorn - Earth signs, like Capricorn, are associated with practicality. Appropriately, Capricorns are not likely to splurge with their refunds. In fact, of those who plan to splurge, less than 1% are Capricorns.
- Aquarius - Aquarius is an Air sign, associated with thought and perspective. Fifty-eight percent of surveyed Aquarians expecting a refund plan to use it to pay down debts.
- Pisces - Idealistic Pisces are the least likely to save. In fact, of all those who plan to save, less than 5% are Pisces.
OK, here’s what I’d like to know: what if you’re married and file jointly and you have different zodiac signs? I’m a Sagittarius and my husband is a Libra? So where does that leave us?
What do you guys think about this? Does any of it ring true as far as your zodiac sign goes?
Most mothers teach their kids to cook and clean. Leah Ingram’s mother taught her to compost. These days she’s passing along this green message to her own daughters as they all try to live a green and frugal lifestyle as The Lean Green Family. She’s the author of “Suddenly Frugal:How to Live Happier and Healthier for Less.” Visit her blog, Suddenly Frugal.